POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Nice violation to basic physics laws... (WIP MPEG1) : Re: Nice violation to basic physics laws... (WIP MPEG1) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nice violation to basic physics laws... (WIP MPEG1)
From: Tom Bates
Date: 22 Nov 2001 11:44:14
Message: <3bfd2b5e$1@news.povray.org>

> news:3BF### [at] atosorigincom...
> >
> > What is strange is that they all go to the right, I would have expected
> > some to also go to the left...
> > I get the gravity orientation from the direction of the initial fall,
> > hence I conclude that the recipient was symmetrical and horizontal,
> > so why does the fluid do not escape also from the left ?
>

> I really don't know for sure! I think the problem is rooted in the
function
> that returns the new direction of the particle after it has collided with
> the surface. I believe it is ignoring the effects of gravity.

It seems to me that the particles landing on the left side of the bowl would
naturally be mostly deflected to the right side.

> Perhaps I'm going to recode everything from scratch, but in C, because
> Matlab is a bit too slow, specially because I'm thinking in adding
> interaction between particles, and that adds a lot of complexity to the
> algorithm. However, I going to miss Matlab's matrices and vectors.

Good luck.
I have some vector and matrix code in C from when I wrote a simple
ray-tracer a few years ago.  It may not be "plug-and-play", but if you
would like a copy of it, let me know.

Tom Bates.